6.21.2011

Chicks and Tomatoes

When it rains it pours.  This weekend my tomato production went from 5 pounds to about 15 pounds per day and I hatched 15 chicks in my incubator. I am using an incubator because currently I have a rooster less hen house, at least for one more month.  I have an Araucana cockerel who will reach maturity in about a month. I am getting 5 to 8 unfertile eggs per day, so I borrowed some fertile eggs from two friends.  One has a flock of Araucanas and the other a flock of mixed breed yard birds.  So the fifteen that hatched are white, tan, buff, black, and the black and grey aracanas.  Yesterday I photographed these young chicks.  The light colored ones photograph best.


Last year my tomatoes were too thick so I planted 5 per row instead of 6 per row.  Guess what...they are still too thick.  The heirloom varieties I have just keep on going like the Energizer bunny.  I am not afraid to crawl under the vines to pick, so it is not all that bad.


The blueberries down the road are coming in also.  It’s a healthy time in the kitchen at our house.  We also have a crop of lemon cucumbers, bell and fool you peppers, okra, squash and many herbs. The cucumbers look like a lemon and taste like a cucumber.  The fool you peppers look like a jalapeño and taste like a spicy bell pepper.  All is good.

1 comment:

  1. I've got something eating my tomats in the field, Clyde. Nothing eating yours?

    ReplyDelete